Don't take anything personally...

This blog has existed in my imagination for a long time, in many different forms and iterations. I told my husband Patrick the other day that a work situation I was in, made me want to call my then hypothetical blog "It's not you, it's me".

He asked if I was breaking up with him. He's like that.

But the inspiration for that name wasn't really that specific and ridiculous work situation. I'll give credit where credit is due and say that the true inspiration behind that is one of The 4 Agreements  by Don Miguel Ruiz - which may or may not be attributable to Native American wisdom. I can't say for sure because I'm refusing to get lost in the world of Google right now, but that's what my counselor said when she recommended that book to me approximately a year ago. Point of order, I never read it. Honestly, most of my exposure to the 4 agreements came from a number of signs someone printed and put up at my former place of work.
Anyway, I used to see those little printed signs frequently, and the one that really stuck with me was...

Don’t take it personally… Nothing other people do is because of you.
(This is apparently only a fraction of the 2nd rule but it was what was posted, and what I read countless times, so it is what is indelibly printed in my head.)

I think my fixation on this one of the four agreements is two part. First, at least one or two of the other signs had problems with the grammar. I can't handle that shit. That really annoys me

*Sidenote, I am also trying to remove hyperbole from my writing if not my life. I tend toward melodramatic reactions anyway, its who I am and that doesn't bother me - even though it might bother those around me. That said, I don't think my self-talk should reinforce my tendency to over dramatize life. I have a tendency to shame/fear spiral without any help from hyperbolic language. I will be striking through these blips instead of deleting them because they are my authentic feelings, and I'd like to be able to see if my patterns change at all as a part of this exercise.
Phew.

My second attraction to this idea of not taking it personally is due to my strong inclination to do exactly the opposite.


Okay, I'm tired. kthanksbye.

...






Comments